- Meeting abstract
- Open Access
1082 Free-breathing single-shot DENSE myocardial strain imaging using deformable registration
© Le et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2008
- Published: 22 October 2008
- Noise Reduction
- Circumferential Strain
- Processing Configuration
- Respiratory Gated
- Single Repetition
Free-breathing scans are often desirable in patients who find breath-holding difficult. We present a new approach for free-breathing myocardial strain imaging with displacement-encoding (DENSE) . It acquires images with a single-shot sequence and removes respiratory motion using deformable registration.
Image registration used a deformable algorithm . The registered images produced 90 strain maps = 3(slices) × 30(repetitions). These were averaged over the repetitions to produce average strain maps for the slices. A correlation threshold was used to remove occasional images of poor registration quality due to ECG mistrigger.
To evaluate strain noise reduction by this approach, we calculated the spatial variance of the pixel-wise strain values in the LV wall for three processing configurations: 1. single repetitions without averaging; 2. the average strain maps; 3. average strain map of respiratory gated (RG) data by selecting 1/3 of the repetitions with the highest diaphragm positions (end expiration).
Deformable registration of single-shot DENSE images permits averaging over all of the respiratory cycle for noise reduction. Although the resolution of 4.0 mm is low, the pixel-wise measurement obviates the need for ROI analysis.
- Aletras AH, et al: Displacement encoding in cardiac functional MRI (abstr). Proc ISMRM. 1998, 1: 281-Google Scholar
- Bennett E, et al: Ultrafast DENSE technique for mapping the volumetric 3D wall motion of the left ventricle (abstr). Proc ISMRM. 2002, 10: 775-Google Scholar
- Kim D, et al: Increasing the SNR and data acquisition efficiency of displacement-encoded MRI by the use of TrueFISP imaging at 3 T and TSENSE parallel imaging (abstr). Proc ISMRM. 2006, 3597-Google Scholar
- Aletras AH, et al: High-resolution strain analysis of the human heart with fast-DENSE. JMR. 1999, 140 (1): 41-57. 10.1006/jmre.1999.1821.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhong XD, et al: Selective suppression of artifact-generating echoes in cine DENSE using through-plane dephasing. MRM. 2006, 56 (5): 1126-1131.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hermosillo G, et al: Variational methods for multimodal image matching. IJCV. 2002, 50 (3): 329-343. 10.1023/A:1020830525823.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.