- Poster presentation
- Open Access
Late Gadolinium Enhancement imaging using stack of stars and compressed sensing
© Adluru et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2011
- Published: 2 February 2011
- Left Atrium
- Late Gadolinium Enhancement
- Compress Sense
- Acquisition Scheme
- Late Gadolinium Enhancement Imaging
To develop and test a 3D hybrid radial(stack of stars) acquisition scheme with compressed sensing(CS) reconstruction for high resolution late gadolinium enhancement(LGE) imaging of the left ventricle(LV) and the left atrium(LA).
LGE imaging is the gold standard for identifying viable tissue and fibrosis in the LV . It has also been recently applied to imaging of the LA to identify regions of RF ablation  and fibrosis . While a Cartesian acquisition scheme is commonly used, it can take a long time  and can be sensitive to motion leading to inconsistent image quality [3, 4]. A radial acquisition scheme can be advantageous due to its robustness to motion and undersampling. Here a hybrid radial acquisition is combined with CS to improve LGE imaging efficiency.
The methods were tested for imaging the LV of three rabbits and for imaging the LA of three patients at least three months post-ablation. The scan parameters for the rabbit studies were TR=2.4 ms,TE=2.7ms,voxel size=0.9x0.9x2mm3,TI=300-350ms. For the patient studies the scan parameters were TR=3.4ms,TE=1.83ms,voxel size=1.25x1.25x2.5mm3,TI=300-400ms;36 slices with 144 rays in each plane were acquired in 1.25-2min.
The 3D stack of stars acquisition in conjunction with CS offers a promising alternative for rapid high resolution LGE imaging. More patient studies are required to validate the proposed framework.
- Simonetti OP, et al: Radiol. 2001, 218: 215-223.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Peters DC, et al: Radiol. 2007, 243: 690-695. 10.1148/radiol.2433060417.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Oakes RS, et al: Circulation. 2009, 119: 1758-1767. 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.811877.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Peters DC, et al: JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2009, 2: 308-316. 10.1016/j.jcmg.2008.10.016.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Adluru G, et al: ISMRM. 2010, 1285-Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.