- Workshop presentation
- Open Access
Cardiac deformation analysis from orthogonal CSPAMM (OCSPAMM) tagged MRI
© Wang et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2012
- Published: 1 February 2012
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Outer Wall
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Image
- Motion Field
- Sophisticated Imaging
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a highly advanced and sophisticated imaging modality for cardiac motion assessment and quantitative analysis. The myocardial tagging techniques have seen wide applications for cardiac deformation analysis (see [1–4] for example). Among different image post-processing techniques, frequency-based methods have played an important role in analysis of heart displacement from tagged MRI images [5, 6]. In this abstract, we apply the SinMod technique to data from a new tagging pulse sequence which we have recently developed called Orthogonal CSPAMM (OCSPAMM) .
In OCSPAMM, the second SPAMM tag orientation is rotated 90 degrees relative to the first one so that motion information in two directions can be obtained simultaneously . SinMod is a frequency-based method to analyze the heart deformation from tagged MRI . In SinMod, the intensity distribution around each pixel is modeled as a cosine wave front. Both phase and frequency for each pixel are determined directly from the frequency analysis and the displacement is calculated from the ratio of phase difference and local frequency. The speed of SinMod method is as fast as HARP but SinMod has advantages in accuracy, noise reduction, and reduced artifacts.
We have proposed a new tagging sequence and cardiac deformation can be extracted from OCSPAMM tagged images. The images results showed good tag persistence and motion field verified the effectiveness of cardiac deformation analysis from OCSPAMM tagging technique.
- Zerhouni EA, et al: Radiology. 1988, 169 (1): 59-63.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Axel L, Dougherty L: Radiology. 1989, 171 (3): 841-845.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fischer SE, et al: Magn. Reson. Med. 1993, 31 (2): 191-200.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Amini A, Prince J: . 2001, Measurement of Cardiac Deformation from MRI, KluwerGoogle Scholar
- Osman NF, et al: Magn. Reson. Med. 1999, 42 (6): 1048-1060.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Arts T, et al: IEEE Trans. on Med. Imag. 2010, 29 (5): 1114-1123.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wang H, et al: IEEE EMBC. 2011Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.